Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Cultural Revolution: Agree or Disagree?

A Cultural Revolution and the previous article we reviewed go hand in hand. Most Americans either love or hate this change that is taking place. It is amazing that someone could have predicted these changes and the severity of them 12 years ago, but it was done. I will say that I believe that for as long as people have the option to read and write they will do it regaurdless of technology. Some might not, but most of us will at some point or another. I don't think society would be very willing to switch to only listening and watching. Somebody will have something to say, otherwise there would be nothing to listen to. In my opinion it was somewhat "out there" to predict this change, but then again it's kind of a risk to predict much of anything because life is unpredictable.

Also, I very much blame all of this change on the predictions and the anticipation for the change. I feel that this made those capable of carrying technology farther feel obligation to do so. Now, many Americans that worried this would happen and wrote papers and so on are looking back thinking, "what has society turned into?"

I still worry for my children and grandchildren because I've seen so much change in the short twenty years I've lived and I hope that at some point things slow down. If we aren't given the time to catch up before new technological advancements are being thrown in our laps, how are we going to give any guidance to our children and our students? What keeps me at peace about all of this is knowing that at some point things will have to slow down, or possibly even come to an abrupt stop. All I can do is hope and pray for one of these things to happen so that people can be given a chance to relearn what life is really all about.

No comments: